Financial Assistance for Families Caring for Cerebral Palsy

Caring for an individual living with a diagnosis of cerebral palsy can be a difficult and expensive task. Fortunately, there are organizations that provide grants and scholarships to help families in need. The Hemiplegia and Stroke Association for Children (CHASA) is dedicated to helping parents of children with cerebral palsy by creating a network to share information about treatment clinics and educational programs. Fund it Forward helps families raise funds for medical or adaptive equipment, while Give Tech gives away input devices that allow people with quadriplegia to use computers.

The Miracle-Ear Foundation provides no-cost hearing aids and hearing support services to children whose families have significantly limited incomes. The MORGAN Project provides resources, underused equipment for people with disabilities and small grants. Special Kids Fund donates wheelchair vans for the disabled to families in need. The Chanda Plan Foundation provides access to integrative therapy, primary care, and other complementary services (such as acupuncture, yoga, and restorative massage) to improve health outcomes and reduce health care costs for people with physical disabilities (such as cerebral palsy, spina bifida, and brain injuries). The VSP “Global Sight for Students” program and the Vision Sight Plan gift certificate programs ensure that adults and children in need, including those affected by a disaster, have access to quality eye care and new glasses at no cost.

The Triumph Foundation's Keep Moving Forward (KMF) grant helps people obtain the adaptive equipment needed for activities of daily living, to make home modifications to facilitate wheelchair accessibility, and to maintain therapeutic activities for health and well-being. Social Security disability insurance provides a monthly income to people who are unable to work due to physical or mental limitations. Family scholarships cover the cost of equipment or therapies and activities that are not funded by insurance or other agencies. The Wheel to Walk Foundation is a non-profit organization that helps children and young adults (under 21) with disabilities obtain medical equipment or services that are not provided by their insurance companies. The First Hand Foundation provides grants for medical treatment, transportation, vehicle modifications in homes and other expenses. The Resource Centers for the Elderly and Disabled (ADRC) offer valuable benefits for your child with cerebral palsy once they turn 18. Family Reach is a national organization dedicated to eradicating the financial barriers that accompany the diagnosis of cancer.

The State of Ohio offers scholarships for children diagnosed with autism and for children with other disabilities who attend public school under an IEP. If therapies aren't covered, you may want to consider if an insurance plan through the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is an option for your family. Before submitting a request, read the materials provided by the organization on its website. Dealing with these financial burdens can make an already difficult situation even more difficult, which is why many organizations have set out to help close the gap for families in need. Ask your child's healthcare provider if they are a CMH healthcare provider, or use the Ohio Department of Health locator to find a provider near you.

The Lexi Kazian Foundation offers grants for assistive technology, therapy, or education and training for parents. The federal government created the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program to provide temporary compensation to families and children in need.