What Financial Assistance and Assistive Technology is Available?

Cerebral palsy (CP) is a neurological disorder that affects movement, posture, and coordination. It can also cause visual or hearing impairments, intellectual disabilities, or other developmental problems. To help people with CP live an independent and long life, there are several financial assistance programs and assistive technology options available. CHASA and UHCCF are two organizations that provide financial assistance to families with children who have hemiplegia or have had a stroke.

SNAP is a federally funded program that helps families pay for food when they have limited means. There are five other federally funded assistance programs that offer additional income and insurance for people with cerebral palsy. Assistive technology is any element or system used to maintain or improve the functioning of a person with a disability. Communication technology can help a person with CP express their needs and thoughts and build relationships with others.

If you don't know where to start using assistive technology for cerebral palsy, you can contact your local medical center to see what programs are available for you or your child. Parents can feel more secure about their family's finances and future if they receive financial assistance for people with cerebral palsy. Social Security, Medicaid, veterans assistance, and other government programs can cover the cost if the technology is prescribed by a medical professional. In addition, legal compensation may be available for those affected by CP.

Cerebral Palsy Guide was founded to educate families about CP, raise awareness, and provide support to children, parents, and caregivers affected by the condition. With the right support and guidance, assistive technology can play an important role in your child's life. If a child is continuously losing motor skills, the problem is most likely a condition other than cerebral palsy.