Finding Accessible Housing for People with Cerebral Palsy

Living in a home that is suitable for someone with cerebral palsy is essential for their wellbeing. The Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) are responsible for enforcing the federal Fair Housing Act, which prohibits discrimination in housing on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, family status, and disability. This includes making reasonable adjustments to rules, policies, practices, or services when necessary to provide a person with a disability the same opportunities to use and enjoy housing. The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) offers mortgage options for low-income people. While not specifically designed for low-income applicants, FHA loans offer conditions that are desirable for people with low incomes, since housing management secures loans provided by approved lenders, significantly reducing the lender's risk.

State housing authorities administer programs supported by HUD, along with state-sponsored programs that are not supported by HUD. When a housing provider rejects a requested accommodation because it is unreasonable, they must discuss with the applicant if there is an alternative accommodation that effectively addresses the applicant's needs related to disability without fundamentally altering the provider's operations and without imposing an undue financial and administrative burden. The ADA includes specific requirements for employers to ensure that people with disabilities have equal access to employment. In addition to financial support organizations, there are many government benefits and grants for people with cerebral palsy available that can offset the costs of treatment. To facilitate the processing and consideration of requests for reasonable accommodation, residents or prospective residents may wish to consult with a housing provider in advance to determine if the provider has any preferences regarding how the application is submitted.