Associated Conditions of Cerebral Palsy: Mental Impairment
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy Mental Impairment
Mental retardation and Cerebral Palsy are not the same thing and should not be confused. Mental retardation relates to brain function as it pertains to learning and cognitive abilities. Cerebral Palsy is the term given to a variety of impairments that involve the motor function of the body; how the muscles work.

Approximately 65% of individuals with Cerebral Palsy will exhibit mental impairments or mental retardation. Of those, roughly one-third are classified as mildly impaired and the other third are moderately to severely impaired. The remaining 35% will have normal intelligence which can include above average intelligence.

Cerebral Palsy

Cerebral Palsy


Intelligence ratings are generally determined by the use of IQ (intelligence quotient) tests. An individual with an IQ of 100 is considered average or normal. Mental retardation is defined as someone whose IQ falls below 70. Further sub-classification of mental retardation is as follows:
Mild: IQ 55-69 (85%)
Moderate: IQ 40-54 (10%)
Severe: IQ 25-39 (5%)
Profound: IQ 0-24 (<1%)

It is impossible to ascertain an IQ before the age of 3 because children develop at such different rates and are not capable of performing tasks or answering questions before that time. Sometimes children with CP are misdiagnosed as mentally retarded because they are unable to communicate due to their physical limitations. Mental impairment is more commonly seen in children with spastic quadriplegia than other forms of cerebral palsy.

Mental retardation is characterized by significantly sub-average intellectual functioning, coexisting with related limitations in two or more of the following areas: communication skills, self-care, home living, social skills, self-direction, health and safety, functional academics and work

For individuals with both Cerebral Palsy and mental retardation, it is the latter, which will generally make independence more difficult to achieve.

Sitemap | Please feel free to

.
Associated Conditions of Cerebral Palsy: Hearing, Depression, Breathing Problems,
Drooling, ADHD, ADD, Bowel issues, Swallowing, Epilepsy, Speech Problems.